Sunday, June 3, 2012

Searching for What?


I figured the first post on this new blog had better explain it's title... 

For me this is really just a transformation of the blog kept during our family's three and a half years living as residents in New Delhi, India: Swimming-In-India. That blog offered observations "from an American family living in India." I think that during our time in India we shared quite a unique set of experiences for readers. But life goes on, circumstances change, and here we are restarting our lives back in the United States.

It felt like it was time for me to create a new blog. Something that was relevant to a new set of experiences and the beginning to new chapter in our life as a family. 
I wanted the title of the new blog to have meaning and to have some loose connection to SayerRanch. This was the tongue-in-cheek name of our family home back in Austin, Texas. Oddly, while living in India, this term came to mean more to me. It refers to our family's place in the world... wherever that might be.  

Keeping all of these ideas in mind, I set the bar high. I wanted the new blog's title to have some relationship to the word ranch... specifically the SayerRanch. And since our permanent home has been in Austin, I felt the title needed to have some connection to the rich heritage of Texas. I also hoped to keep some allusion to India... a place that was hard for our family to finally leave. A place that has the ability to change one's perspective on the world forever.

So a did a little research, starting with the word ranch. This quickly lead me into terminology used on American cattle ranches. The search moved on to cowboys and the language they often use. These men are known for their wanderlust. They were folks (and still are) who never placed their roots very deep in one place. Cowboys were often described as "always going somewhere."
And that's when I stumbled across an odd cowboy phrase: "searching for the elephant."  The phrase describes the wanderlust of cowboys. Men who were "going over the next hill, always looking for something that was never there."  It summed up the philosophy of many cowboys who travelled from ranch to ranch looking for new horses to ride and new country to explore. 

Hopefully you can see the smile on my face.The words in this phrase seem to contain everything I want for my new title... connection to ranches and Texas, the idea of searching for something new - difficult to find. And the hardest bit of all -- a direct allusion to India. 

Welcome to Searching for the Elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment